Bran English Muffins
|Whole wheat flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Unprocessed bran||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unbleached white flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Approximately)|
1. Mix 1 cup whole wheat flour, the yeast, salt, and brown sugar together in large bowl.
2. Heat the milk, water, and oil until very warm. Stir into the first mixture. Then beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the remaining whole wheat flour, the bran, and enough white flour to make a firm dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until elastic. Put in an oiled bowl, turning to oil top. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap, allowing the wrap to touch dough. Let rise in warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled.
4. Turn the dough out and punch down. Pat or roll to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut with a floured 3-inch cutter. Put on a baking sheet or board and let rise for 25 to 30 minutes, or until light.
5. Lift the rounds with a pancake turner and put on a hot, lightly oiled griddle.
6. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2730 Calories from Fat 588
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 67 g103.3%
Saturated Fat 12.7 g63.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 22.6 mg7.5%
Sodium 1573.5 mg65.6%
Total Carbohydrates 490 g163.2%
Dietary Fiber 56.7 g226.6%
Sugars 30 g
Protein 93 g185.6%
Vitamin A 5.1% Vitamin C 0.07%
Calcium 44.9% Iron 168.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet