Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe Cook-Off
|For traditional sage dressing|
|White sandwich bread loaf||1 Large, torn into 1-inch pieces|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Fresh sage leaves||10 , chopped|
|Fresh parsley||5 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Chicken broth||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|For nutty sausage & cranberry stuffing|
|Cornbread stuffing mix||16 Ounce|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||1 , beaten|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), divided|
|Ground italian pork sausage||1 Cup (16 tbs), browned and drained|
|Sweetened dried cranberries||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cooking spray||2 Dash|
FOR TRADITIONAL SAGE DRESSING
1. Tear the bread and place overnight on a baking sheet.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
3. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onion and celery in butter until soft.
4. In a large bowl, combine bread, onion mixture, sage, parsley, salt and pepper, gently tossing to make sure all of the bread is coated.
5. Spoon dressing mixture into a baking pan; pour broth over mixture.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes, uncovering the last 10 minutes of cooking to let the bread crisp.
7. Serve the stuffing with turkey.
FOR Nutty Sausage & Cranberry Stuffing
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Prepare stuffing mix according to package directions, using broth, egg and 1/4 cup butter; set aside.
3. In a pan, heat remaining butter and sauté onion and celery until translucent.
4. Stir onion mixture and remaining ingredients into stuffing; toss well to coat.
5. Spread over the prepared baking pan. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Serve stuffing with some green salad.
Calories 426 Calories from Fat 192
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g40.9%
Saturated Fat 12.8 g63.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 69.3 mg23.1%
Sodium 541 mg22.5%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.7%
Dietary Fiber 2 g7.9%
Sugars 12.5 g
Protein 7 g15%
Vitamin A 20% Vitamin C 12.3%
Calcium 13.5% Iron 7.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet