Crown Roast Of Pork With Fruit Stuffing
|Crown roast of pork||6 Pound (14 Ribs)|
|Ground pepper||To Taste|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|White vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick)|
|Sweet italian sausages||1⁄2 Pound (2 Sausages, 1/4 Pound Each)|
|Thinly sliced celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pared diced tart apples||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped dried apricots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Bread cubes||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Winch)|
|Dried sage leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|All-purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Canned whole apricots||29 Ounce, drained (1 Can, 1 Pound, 13 Ounce)|
|Celery pieces||12 (1 1/2-Inch Each, For Celery Garnish)|
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. To prepare the pork wipe it with damp paper towels.
3. In a bowl combine 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and rub meat well with mixture.
4. Press piece of foil down into center of crown roast.
5. Place roast in shallow roasting pan without rack, roast uncovered for about 15 minutes and then reduce oven to 350F.
6. Combine water and vinegar, pour into pan with roast, cover tightly with foil and roast for about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
To make the Stuffing:
7. Prepare the sausage by removing casing and cutting it up.
8. In medium skillet heat butter and saute the prepared sausage, celery and onion, stirring, until onion is golden-€”about 5 minutes.
9. In a large bowl, mix well combining sausage mixture, apple, apricot, bread cubes, sage, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
10. Remove roast from oven and remove foil.
11. Into center cavity, spoon stuffing mounding and cover stuffing with 10-inch square of foil.
12. Return roast to oven and roast for about 45 minutes.
13. Then place the roast on a heated platter to keep warm.
To make gravy:
14. Strain drippings in the roasting pan.
15. Pour off fat from top, reserving 2 tablespoons and return the 2 tablespoons fat to roasting pan.
16. Stir flour into fat until smooth.
17. Stir in about 2 cups drippings, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring, about 3 minutes or until thickened.
To make celery garnish :
18. With paring knife, cut thin slices, 1/2 inch long, at one end of celery pieces and place immediately in ice water to curl ends.
19. Drain well on paper towels and then use.
20. Secure Celery Garnish with toothpicks between bones, garnish with apricots and watercress, if desired and serve passing gravy.