Pork Crown Roast With Apple Stuffing
|Pork rib crown roast||7 Pound|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Celery stalks||4 Large, diced|
|Onion||1 Large, diced|
|Bread cubes||8 Cup (128 tbs) (From 10- 12 Slices)|
|Cooking apples||3 Medium, unpeeled and diced|
|Apple juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Poultry seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
1. Rub pork rib crown roast with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place roast, rib ends down, in open roasting pan. Roast in 325°F. oven 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, in 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, in hot butter or margarine, cook celery and onion, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove Dutch oven from heat. Stir in bread cubes, apples, apple juice, poultry seasoning, egg, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss until well mixed.
3. Remove roast from oven and turn rib ends up. Fill cavity of roast with stuffing. (Place leftover stuffing in greased 1 1/2 quart casserole; bake, uncovered, during last 30 minutes of roasting time.)
4. Insert meat thermometer between two ribs into thickest part of meat, being careful that pointed end of thermometer does not touch bone. Return roast to oven and continue roasting about 1 1/2 hours or until meat thermometer reaches 170°F. (30 to 35 minutes per pound total cooking time). If stuffing browns too much during roasting, cover it with foil.
5. When roast is done, place on warm platter; let stand 15 minutes for easier carving.
6. Meanwhile, prepare gravy: Pour pan drippings into 2-cup measure or medium-sized bowl (set pan aside); let stand a few seconds until fat separates from meat juices. Skim 3 tablespoons fat from drippings (add enough butter or margarine if necessary to make 3 tablespoons); pour into 2-quart saucepan; skim off and discard any remaining fat. Add 1/4 cup water to roasting pan; stir until brown bits are loosened from pan; add to meat juice in cup with enough water to make 2 cups.
7. Into fat in saucepan over medium heat, stir flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until blended; cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in meat-juice mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 9179 Calories from Fat 4330
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 484 g744.2%
Saturated Fat 62.5 g312.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2992.1 mg997.4%
Sodium 3158.6 mg131.6%
Total Carbohydrates 331 g110.3%
Dietary Fiber 30.4 g121.5%
Sugars 90.8 g
Protein 830 g1660.5%
Vitamin A 91.6% Vitamin C 86.3%
Calcium 85.4% Iron 112.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet