|Sponge cake layer||1 (Round / Square, 7 Inches Across And 1 Inch Thick)|
|Vanilla ice cream||1 Pint, frozen hard (1 Block)|
|Fresh strawberries||3⁄4 Pound, crushed|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
1. Set oven to heat to 450°F.
2. Place sponge cake on a flat, oven-proof plate suitable for serving.
3. Sprinkle it with the rum.
4. Place the ice cream block in the center of the cake, and cover with the strawberries.
5. Beat the eggs white until very stiff.
6. Beat in half the sugar slowly so that the meringue remains stiff.
7. Fold in the rest of the sugar.
8. Pile the meringue mixture all over the fruit, ice cream and sponge cake, covering them completely, down to the plate.
9. Place the dessert in the oven immediatley and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the meringue is beginning to brown.
10. Serve immediately.