Angela s Lemon and Basil Tarts with Strawberry Cream
|Plain flour||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Ground almonds||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Caster sugar||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Unsalted butter||4 1⁄2 Ounce (125 Gram)|
|For the strawberry cream|
|Strawberries||10 Ounce, halved (300 Gram)|
|Orange juice||2 Fluid Ounce (50 Milliliter)|
|Balsamic vinegar||2 Fluid Ounce (50 Milliliter)|
|Icing sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemons||1 1⁄2 , zested and juiced (Unwaxed)|
|Basil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Small Handful)|
|Whipping cream||18 Fluid Ounce (500 Milliliter)|
1) Pre-heat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas mark 3. Take a 6 x 10cm loose-bottomed tart tins that are 3cm in depth. Butter and flour them.
2) In a bowl, add in the flour, almonds, and sugar, and mix together. Then, rub in the butter into the bowl until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3) Put in the egg yolk and knead to form a smooth dough. Wrap a cling film around it and let it set in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
4) In a bowl, put in the strawberries with the orange juice, balsamic vinegar and icing sugar. Give a little toss and set them aside.
5) Remove the pastry dough from the freezer. On a lightly floured surface, roll them out. Make 6 x 15cm circles out of the dough and press them into the tart tins
6) Place the tins cases on a baking sheet and bake blind the for about 25 minutes till they have a pale golden hue.
7) As you blind bake the cases, beat the eggs into a large jar. Add in the lemon zest and juice, caster sugar, basil and half the cream to the eggs and whisk them well.
8) Remove the tart cases from the oven and let them to cool a bit.
9) Pour the egg mixture into the cases after straining it. Reduce the oven settings to 140C/ fan 120/gas mark 2. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or till they set. Remove from heat and cool.
10) Remove the excess juices from the strawberries by draining it. Then blend them to a pulp in a processor. Sieve the pulp .
11) Whisk the remaining cream until it turns fairly stiff. Then, gradually, fold in the puree. Whisk again until its starts to peak.
12) To serve : Keep the tarts on individual serving plates. Spoon in the strawberry cream inside them. Top them with extra strawberries, lemon slices and basil leaves.
Calories 781 Calories from Fat 481
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 54 g83%
Saturated Fat 32.9 g164.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 379.5 mg126.5%
Sodium 90.6 mg3.8%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g9.8%
Sugars 31.4 g
Protein 9 g17.1%
Vitamin A 17.1% Vitamin C 73.4%
Calcium 10.6% Iron 7.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet