|Angel food cake mix||14 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Spirited strawberry flavored beverage||2 Cup (32 tbs), flavored|
|Apple jelly||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Toasted sliced almonds||1 Tablespoon|
|Chocolate frosting||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Strawberries||1 Pint, washed, hulled and sliced|
1. Prepare cake mix with water, following label directions. Pour into an ungreased 10-inch angel tube pan.
2. Bake in slow oven (325°) 50 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched with fingertip. Invert pan onto a one-quart bottle. Allow to hang until cake cools.
3. While cake cools, soften gelatin in 1/2 cup strawberry beverage in a small saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring constantly, until gelatin dissolves; pour into a small bowl with remaining 1 1/2 cups strawberry beverage; stir to blend; chill 40 minutes, or until thick as unbeaten egg.
4. Invert cake onto pastry board; starting 1/2 inch in from outer edge, cut a cone-shape piece from center, using a serrated knife and a sawing motion; lift out.
5. Melt apple jelly in a small saucepan and brush all over cake; arrange almonds in three rows around cake. Fit a decorating set with a #98 shell tip; fill with chocolate frosting. Pipe lines, at 45° angles around cake, between almond rows to indicate basket, as shown in picture
6. Place cake on serving plate; pipe frosting around bottom edge.
7. Beat cream with sugar in small bowl of electric mixer at medium speed; gradually add strawberry mixture and beat until creamy and smooth. Fold in sliced strawberries. (If mixture does not mound, place bowl into a second bowl of ice and water and fold gently a few minutes, until mixture begins to mound.
8. Spoon strawberry mixture into angel cake, mounding on top. Chill until serving time.