How To Freeze Mashed Yam
The earthy, hardy tasting and mildly sweet yams can be mashed and frozen in order to reduce its wastage and cost of consumption. Yam being a hard vegetable can easily dry up and turn stony when exposed to air. When mashed and frozen, its shelf-life gets extended to a maximum extent and can be used whenever required. Let us now see the steps to be followed in freezing mashed yams.
Method Of Freezing Mashed Yam:
- Mashed yam
- Lemon juice-Half cup
- Measuring cup
- Ziploc freezer bags
- Permanent marker
- Keep ready the mashed yam which is been brought to room temperature.
- Mix the lemon juice with this mashed yam in order to prevent darkening (2 teaspoons of lemon juice for one quart of mashed yam would be enough).
- Using measuring cup, fill the measured contents in the ziploc freezer bags leaving half inch headspace and label them with date and quantity of the contents.
- Ensure that there is no air left in the ziploc bags.
- Freeze them until they turn hard.
Frozen mashed yam can be used in a variety of culinary preparations. It minimizes the time taken in preparing for such recipes, when in hurry. But beware folks! If you are allergic towards yam, better do not attempt to eat frozen mashed yam. If not, enjoy this yummy recipe.