How To Freeze Apple Pie
It becomes necessary to freeze apple pie when you are preparing it in advance or preparing it in large quantities for future use. You can freeze a baked and unbaked pie as per your requirements, but if you do not do it well, the pie shall lose its flavor and become soggy.
Freeze unbaked pies:
1. Prepare the pie crust with all the usual ingredients. However, ensure that you add at least 1/2 tsp of tapioca or corn starch in the pie mix. This ensures that the filling juices are well absorbed.
2. Give shape to the crust by placing it in an aluminum pie pan and mix the filling. Place this crust on the pie but do not make any vents.
3. Place this pie in a large freezer bag or in an airtight container.
4. Keep the bag in the freezer. Just ensure that the pie is kept upright so that there is no spillage of the filling, just before it turns solid.
Freeze a pre-baked pie:
1. Cool the pie once it has baked well.
2. Place it in an airtight container or use a large freezer bag, as mentioned above.
3. Just ensure that it stays upright or else the mixture might spill out and it can turn out to be very messy.
4. Place it in the refrigerator freezer to turn solid.
If you plan to freeze your apple pie, you just need to ensure that you carry out the process slowly and do not do it in a hurry. A small mistake can ruin all your efforts.
Image credits: kblog