How To Freeze Cooked Rice
The best way to ensure that cooked rice is always at hand is to learn how to freeze cooked rice. Cooking rice can take a minimum of an hour and freezing it ensures a healthy item in our daily meals. Let us see the steps that need to be followed for freezing cooked rice…
Steps to Freeze Cooked Rice
- Measure a fixed amount of rice and pit it into a pot. Follow instructions on the package for amount of water and time for cooking rice. Take rice off the heat 5 minutes prior to the instructed time. The rice will get completely cooked once reheated in microwave.
- Let the cooked rice cool to room temperature.
- Get zip lock bags ready.
- Portion the rice as convenient and place each portion in each of the zip lock bags.
- Lay the bags with the rice flat on the kitchen counter top. Press the bags to get rid of trapped air. Now, seal them.
- Label bags with the date of freezing.
- The sealed bags should be placed on their sides inside the freezer. This would allow only a minimum surface area to come in contact with freezer floor facilitating easy retrieval of rice bags when required.
- Use frozen cooked rice after reheating in the microwave.
- Open the bags an inch or two to let steam escape. Now, microwave on full power for another 3 to 4 minutes. It is normal for the bag to puff up.
- Let stand for 1 minute in the microwave.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and use as desired.
Freezing cooked rice is very convenient method of preserving it. Use the reheated rice to make pilafs, stir fries, fried rice, and other rice dishes.
Image credit: cafeocheryl.wordpress.com/