How To Dry Orange
Want to use dry orange peel in recipes but do not know how to dry orange peel? Orange peel can be dried under the sun or even in the oven, if you want it very quick. Dried orange peel can be added to many dishes for a mild lingering citrus flavor. Read on for easy instructions on drying orange peel at home with ease …
Air Dry or Sun Dry Orange Peel
- Wash oranges thoroughly to ensure that along with dirt, pesticides are also removed. You can opt to buy organic oranges for safety.
- Peel the orange carefully with a paring knife. The while pith can be left back on the fruit.
- Place the peels on a clean work surface and cut them into strips. This would allow quicker and even drying.
- Place the strips on a plate, skin side down.
- Keep plate with orange peel strips in a dry place in room temperature or place the plate in a sunny area.
- Orange peel would dry in a matter of 3 to 4 days when placed at room temperature and would take about 2 to 3 days if placed under hot sun.
- On drying, orange peels are shriveled.
- Store in a clean, dry airtight container.
Drying Orange Peel in Oven
Follow the steps of cleaning and cutting orange peel from 1 to 4.
- Place orange peel strips on baking sheet and keep these in the oven.
- Maintain oven temperature at 150 degrees F.
- Bake until orange rinds are dry.
On drying, orange peels can be stored and used in a variety of dishes. There would not be any need to rush to the market for citrus in recipes. Dry orange peels can be powdered and added to spice mixes, sauces, salsa etc.