How To Store Salmon
How to store salmon? This is the most delicious, and mouthwatering question which needs some good liberal answers. Salmon is fresh water born fish which migrates to ocean waters for dwelling. Touted as most healthy and scrumptious fish all over the world, salmon needs good and conducive storage methods, to keep up fresh and yummy for weeks. Two major types of salmon make your meals, one is farmed Atlantic salmon, and other is wild Pacific salmon species. Though, salmon is a collective term given to fish of Salmonidae family, therefore, all the salmon varieties are oily, and are highly perishable. Let us apprise ourselves with some educated salmon storage tips down the lane.
Picking and Choosing Salmon
Salmon must be deliberately, picked, and prudently chosen, to store, and freeze them for months. The fresh and young lots are judged by outer texture, as mentioned below:
- They should have oily and moist skin.
- Should show alertness and slippery tendency on handling.
- They should have nice shape, intact, and shiny surface.
- Skin firmness, slimy scales, round eyes, gills bright pink to orange, and clean in cavity, is some other indicators of a fresh lot.
- Salmon storage is basically a process of refrigeration and freezing. These processes ensure that natural deterioration and denting is not progressed, and thus puts halt on this spoilage of fish.
- Store large and small fish in separate segment. In case, stored together, make sure that the top and bottom fish have temperature space of 25 degree F. Proper air circulation is of utmost importance.
- Store salmon is medium sized container, keeping in mind to leave some space all around the fish. Add the ice beds in it, and place salmon unwrapped in this ice tray for hours. Wash your fish only when you are planning to make some fish dish.
- Store bought fish must be immediately unwrapped, washed in chilled water, again enclosed in clean plastic bags, and double packed in sealed zip loc bags. Finally keep them in freezer without any interference.
Fish are most vulnerable to food poisoning, and deleterious microbial diseases, so it is judicious to place them in coldest temperature zone. These were some of the healthy tips on how to store salmon. Try to make a knack of practicing them, so that you don’t get to smell anything fishy!
Image credit: ifood.tv