How To Preserve Salsa
Many might wonder, how to preserve salsa and enjoy it fresh every time? Salsa is the best condiment for pairing with tacos, bruschetta and tortillas. Preserving salsa lets one enjoy these foods even in non-tomato seasons. It is also the best way to use up your garden tomatoes and eat them at your convenience.
Here is a step by step guide to preserving salsa fresh for about a year.
This dish can be preserved by either freezing or canning freshly prepared salsa. Here is how to preserve salsa by freezing the dish.
Things you will need are
- Zip lock freezer bags
- Masking tape
- Marker for writing
- Divide the salsa into small portions. By doing so, you can take out only the required amount without disturbing the rest. Thawing and freezing over and again will not keep the salsa fresh.
- Make small pouches of salsa bags using zip lock poly bags. It is better than using a container as you can squeeze them inside the freezer easily. But if you have got more space in your freezer you can use airtight container.
- Remove air from the bag and let it sit at room temperature until it cools down completely.
- Use a masking tape for labeling the bags. Write the date on it with a permanent marker. If you are freezing too many food items in the freezer then writing the content is recommended.
- Then keep the salsa bags inside the freezer.
- Thaw them in the refrigerator before eating.
- Discard excess liquid from the salsa before using.
- Stir salsa before serving.
So, now that you know how to preserve salsa, you can prepare fresh tomato salsa for the entire year and enjoy them whenever you please.
Image Courtesy: ifood.tv