How To Can Oranges At Home
In this blog we are talking about, “How to Can Oranges At Home”, it is a good business, if you have your own citrus trees or access to inexpensive oranges. While home canning processes have not always involved hermetical seals, they have usually made some attempt to thoroughly cook the contents. Canned foods have always been helpful in providing safe dining options to millions to many and have given a new meaning to food preservation. It would have no significance, if you let the canned foods sit in your kitchen cupboard for an indefinite period as canned provisions should be stored properly.
Instructions to can oranges
Things you will need to can:
- Pint size jars
- Water bath canner
- Canning jar funnel
- Jar lids
- Jar rings
- Long handled tongs
- Measuring cups
- Select the fruit firm and free of bruises
- Wash the fruit in cool water.
- Get the jars and lids washed in hot, soapy water.
- Peel the fruit
- Pull the segments apart or slice the oranges in segments or in half, as per your choice.
- Prepare light syrup to pour over the fruit
- Heat the syrup solution to a boil
- Fill the jars with the prepared citrus fruit
- Pour the hot syrup into the jars and put the lid and ring in place. Tighten the lid.
- Process the jars in the boiling water bath
- Lift the jars out of the water and let them cool in a draft free area
- Store the cooled jars in a cool location and shelf life for this can fruit is up to nine months.
Why to can?
Canning fruits and vegetables is a good technique to conserve them for future use, save money at the grocery store and eat healthy when fresh produce is not readily available.
While can oranges are safe dining option for many, it is also a good business option, if you have your own citrus trees or access to inexpensive oranges.
Image credits: arcticgardenstudio.blogspot.com