How To Can Sauerkraut In A Pressure Cooker?
Sauerkraut is the iconic German brine fermented dish made from shredded cabbage and herbs. Canning sauerkraut is the most effective way to increase its shelf life, and it is best to can Sauerkraut in pressure cooker - it is easy, hassle free and economical.
Before I explain the process of how to can sauerkraut in pressure cooker, let me explain the basics of preparing this German dish. Sauerkraut is made from cabbage; any cabbage – white or red – can be used to make Sauerkraut. To prepare the dish, the cabbage is first shredded and then allowed to ferment which gives the cabbage a distinct sour taste and long shelf-life. When preparing this dish at home, shred the hard heads of the cabbage finely and then smear it with salt. Next, press down the salted cabbage shreds with a heavy object so that within 24 hours, the shredded cabbage is covered in its juice. Cover and allow the cabbage to stand in the brine for few weeks to allow fermentation. Once the fermentation process is over with and the cabbage reaches the desired sourness, you are ready for canning Sauerkraut.
Here are a few tips that will help you can Sauerkraut in pressure cooker:
- Clean the canning jars in a dishwasher or by hand and pour boiling water over the jars and lids to sterilize them. Leave them in the water for a few minutes. Take them out and keep them aside for drying.
- Sort the Sauerkraut well with tongs. Separate the pieces that have begun to turn brown from the fresh ones and choose only the fresh shreds for canning. Fill the jars with Sauerkraut brine leaving about half an inch on top of the jar.
- Seal the jars tightly with lids. But make sure it is not so tight that air can’t escape during the canning process.
- Now it’s time to do the actual thing, i.e., to can Sauerkraut in pressure cooker. For this, prepare the pressure cooker as per the directions given in the user’s manual of the pressure cooker. Also, remember to check the pressure cooker for all its safety measures and place the jars inside it.
- Fill the cooker halfway with water, place it on the stove, and turn the heat on.
- Wait for the water to boil and seal the lid of the pressure cooker. Set the pressure setting and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook according to the directions given in the user’s manual of the pressure cooker.
- Once it’s done, remove the lid and take the jars out. Let it cool down and then store it in a cool, dry place.
Well, that’s it... you have successfully canned the Sauerkraut. Wasn’t it easy to can Sauerkraut in pressure cooker? This is the best way to store Sauerkraut, especially in winter. This way it stays fresh for longer and tastes better.
Image Credit: www.flickr.com