How To Freeze Black Olives For Later Use
Since, black olives are considered to be the best olives; I always make it a point to freeze black olives in my refrigerator. Black olives are not only good for the skin, they also have anti-fungal, anti bacterial and anti-oxidant properties and consuming black olives also helps to boost our immune system.
Everyone in my family is fond of black olives and therefore I purchase them in bulk and store them for a prolonged use. This not only ensures me the right kind of nutrition preserved in my freezer but also enables me to strike the best bargain.
This is how I freeze black olives easily at home.
- Get olives from a nearby convenience store.
- Put them in a strainer.
- Let some cold water flow on them, so as to remove any dirt or impurity from their surface.
- Take a plastic container and slowly put all the olives in it.
- Do not fill the container completely.
- Take a cup of cold water and pour on the black olives, in the container.
- Now freeze the black olives overnight.
- Next day, take out the frozen olives and defrost them.
- After defrosting, place the olives in an airtight jar.
- Place the jar in the freezer and now you have black olives preserved for months to come.
Frozen black olives remain good for a period of six months and you can use them either for seasoning or making marinades.
Here is one of my favorite sandwich recipes with black olives-
Delicious black olive pesto sandwich- It is a yummy sandwich preparation made of black olives, cashew nuts, pepper and basil leaves. This sandwich is especially liked by children.
4 bread slices
2 cheese slices
1Tomato cut in slices
Black olives cut into half
5 Cashew nuts
Few basil leaves
4 tbsp. Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Grind cashew nuts, basil leaves, along with olive oil, salt and pepper (according to taste) and make a fine paste.
Add the black olives and mix well. Keep the paste aside.
Take the bread slices.
Trim the sides with a scissor or a knife.
Spread butter on the slices.
Spread olive pesto on one slice.
Top it with a cheese slice and then tomato slices and finally with an already butterd bread slice .
Repeat the process with other 2 slices.
Your yummy black olive pesto sandwich is ready.
Image credit- garciasfamouspizza.com