Unsalted Beef Stock
|Beef bones||4 Pound|
|Onions||3 , cut|
|Carrots||2 , scraped|
|Celery seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Dried marjoram||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Tomato juice||12 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Water||1 (As Required)|
1) Pre-heat the oven to 400°C.
2) In a roasting pan, roast the bones till brown for about 30 minutes.
3) Now add the onions, carrots and garlic and let it brown together for another 30 minutes (until the colour becomes a rich, deep brown).
4) Transfer the browned meat and vegetables in a large pot or soup kettle.
5) Add all the remaining ingredient and cover off the top by an inch with distilled water.
6) Boil it slowly and then at reduced heat for 5 minutes, removing any froth forming on the surface.
7) Cover it partly to allow the steam to escape and then let it simmer slowly for at least 5 hours (If the heat can be turned off in the middle, 10 hours is ideal).
8) When the stock is done, cool it to room temperature and refrigerate it overnight, keeping it uncovered.
9) Remove and discard the hardened fat on the surface.
10) Heat the stock again until it becomes liquid.
11) Strain the liquid to taste it : if the flavor is too weak, boil it further to concentrate it more for stronger flavour.
12) Store the stock in the freezer in containers (the amount needed from time to time can easily be de-frosted as required).
13) Toss with salads or use as desired
Calories 96 Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1 g1.7%
Saturated Fat 0.26 g1.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.6 mg0.5%
Sodium 41.3 mg1.7%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g6.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.6%
Sugars 9 g
Protein 4 g7%
Vitamin A 115.2% Vitamin C 50%
Calcium 12.9% Iron 23.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet