Golden Gourmet Stock
|Corn oil/Soy bean oil||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Beef shin||8 Ounce, cubed (225 Gram)|
|Veal bone||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Water||1 1⁄3 Pint (800 Milliliter)|
|Carrots||2 Medium, quartered|
|Onion||1 Medium, halved and unskinned|
|Celery stalks||2 , quartered|
|Fresh bay leaf||1 , crushed|
|Fresh thyme sprigs||2|
|Allspice berries||8 , crushed|
|Dry white wine/Cider||1 Pint (600 Milliliter)|
1. Preheat a 25 cm (10 inch) browning dish on HIGH for 3 1/2-4 minutes.
2. Add the oil, meat and bones, stir once, and then microwave, uncovered, on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time.
3. Remove the solids from the browning dish and set them aside. Pour just 200 ml (1/3 pint) water into the dish, stirring well to dislodge all the fragments from the base of the pan.
4. Add the carrots, onion halves (each stuck with one clove) and celery. Cover with a lid and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes.
5. Add the bay leaves, thyme, parsley stalks and allspice berries. Return the reserved browned meat and bones to the pan.
6. Pour over the remaining 600 ml (1 pint) water and the white wine or cider. Microwave, covered with a lid, on HIGH for 45 minutes or until the stock is well flavoured.
7. Strain the stock, discarding all solids, and refrigerate. (Use the beef for potted meat spread if wished, chopping it and adding butter, spices, garlic and herbs.)
8. Taste and adjust the seasonings once the stock has cooled. Remove surface fat if wished by trailing kitchen paper across the surface. Use this stock as a basis for sauces, gravies, soups or in any recipe requiring non-poultry stock.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2084 Calories from Fat 928
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 104 g159.5%
Saturated Fat 27.6 g137.8%
Trans Fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 381 mg127%
Sodium 3859.3 mg160.8%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.8%
Dietary Fiber 9.5 g38.2%
Sugars 22.1 g
Protein 153 g306.1%
Vitamin A 439% Vitamin C 74.7%
Calcium 27.3% Iron 75.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet