Basic Fish Stock
|Heads bones and trimmings from fish||2 Pound (From Fish Such As Cod, Flounder, Or Salmon)|
|Carrots||2 , cut into 2 inch pieces|
|Onion||1 Large, quartered but not peeled|
|Pared lemon zest piece||1 (2 Inch Size)|
|Pared orange zest piece||1 (2 Inch Size)|
1. Rinse the fish parts and trimmings under cold water.
2. Cut them into 3-inch pieces.
3. In a large stockpot, place the fish parts and trimmings.
4. Cover the fish with the water.
5. Bring the pot to a boil over moderate heat.
6. Reduce the heat and with a large slotted spoon, skim off and discard the gray scum that rises to the surface.
7. Add the carrots, onion, lemon and orange zest, peppercorns, and herbs to the stockpot.
8. Return the mixture to a boil.
10. Strain the fish stock before using it as an ingredient in cooking. It is not served on its own.