Basic Vegetable Stock
|Celery stalk with leaves||4 , cut across into 1/2-inch slices|
|Leeks/Onions||2 , trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks|
|Carrots||2 Large, cut into 1/2-inch chunks (Unpeeled)|
|Parsnips||2 Small, cut into 1/2-inch chunks (Unpeeled)|
|Shallots/1 small onion||2 , peeled and quartered|
|Cabbage head||12 Ounce, coarsely shredded (1/2 Head)|
|Herb sprigs||4 (Such As Parsley, Thyme, And Bay Leaves)|
|Cold water||3 Quart|
1. Take a large stockpot and place all the vegetables, herbs, and peppercorns in it.
2. Cover the vegetables with the water.
3. Place the pot over moderate heat and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered.
5.Skim off any scum that rises to the surface every once in a while.
6. Simmer the stock for about 45 minutes.
7. Strain the stock and use it as a cooking ingredient.