Kabocha Ratatouille - Simmered Pumpkin and Vegetable Stew
|Kabocha||1⁄2 Medium, cut into bite-sized pieces (Japanese pumpkin-seeds and strings scooped out)|
|Onions||1 Small, chopped|
|Carrots||2 Large, diced|
|Red bell pepper||1 , diced|
|Tomatoes||5 , chopped|
|Soy sauce||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Mirin||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh corn||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mochi||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cubed (Roasted under the broiler until crispy) (Optional)|
1. In a heavy pot on medium heat add a couple of tablespoons of oil and add the roughly chopped onion. Cook for about 6 minutes till translucent.
2. When the onions are done add two diced carrots, a diced red bell pepper and the kabocha pieces and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and 350 ml of dashi. Turn up the heat till it starts to boil and then reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer until the kabocha is fork tender.
3. When the kabocha is done add mirin, soy sauce and brown sugar and continue to cook uncovered on medium high heat to reduce slightly.
4. Lastly add the fresh corn and stir.
5. Serve warm with roasted mochi or with rice or pasta of your choice.
Calories 259 Calories from Fat 79
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.7%
Saturated Fat 0.76 g3.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3131.8 mg130.5%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g12.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15.2%
Sugars 10.1 g
Protein 9 g18.8%
Vitamin A 114.5% Vitamin C 74.9%
Calcium 3.1% Iron 4.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet