Public Television Host Jeff Baker prepares a hearty stew with onions, carrots, sausage, mushrooms and pearl barley.
2 Cup (32 tbs), sliced
Breakfast sausage links
1 Medium (lean)
1 Large, chopped
2 Cup (32 tbs), grated
6 Cup (96 tbs) (low sodium)
1. Heat a large pot over medium high. Add breakfast sausages and brown them.
2. Add onion, carrot and saute till the onion is translucent, for about 5 minutes.
3. Put the mushrooms and continue to cook for a few minutes till the mushroom begin to give out water. Then add the barley and stir.
4. Season with thyme then pour in the beef broth.
5. Bring liquid to a boil. Cover with lid, reduce heat and let simmer till the barley is cooked.
6. Ladle the Sausage Mushroom Stew into a deep dish bowl, and garnish with cilantro. Serve by itself like a soup or accompany with some crusty bread.