Sapodeaux's Quick & Easy Shrimp Stew
|Large fresh shrimps||2 Pound (Gulf of Mexico shrimp)|
|Water||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Green pepper||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Roux||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Tony Chacheres instant roux mix)|
|Black peppercorn||1⁄2 Teaspoon, coarsely ground|
|Blackened seasoning||2 Teaspoon (Zaterains)|
|Pepper sauce||1 Teaspoon (Louisiana Gold)|
|Instant rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Peel and devein the shrimp.
2. Place the shrimp shells in a saucepan and cover with water. Simmer to make a shrimp stock. You can add a few drops of shrimp oil if you want a stronger shrimp flavor.
3. Strain and cool the stock. You can add a few ice cubes to cool it instantly.
4. In a saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
5. Add onion and green pepper and sauté until soft and limp, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove in a bowl.
6. Into the same saucepan, pour in 2 ½ cups of the prepared shrimp stock and blend 1 cup of the instant roux into it. Whisk until smooth and free of lumps.
7. Cook on a low flame, whisking constantly, until the gravy is thick.
8. Stir in the cooked onion and green pepper mixture into the gravy.
9. Pour in 2 cups of water and whisk, while the gravy simmers on low flame.
10. When the gravy thickens, turn up the heat and stir in the ground black pepper and blackened seasoning.
11. Add the shrimp to the gravy adjust the seasoning and add some pepper sauce to kick up the spice.
12. Simmer the shrimp on medium low heat for about 20 minutes, until they are pink, tender and cooked through.
13. In the meantime, cook the instant rice as per directions on the bag.
14. Spoon some of the cooked rice into a large bowl and ladle the shrimp stew over it.
15. Enjoy hot.
Calories 588 Calories from Fat 138
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.7%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 166.7 mg55.6%
Sodium 931.6 mg38.8%
Total Carbohydrates 81 g26.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g14.7%
Sugars 1.7 g
Protein 29 g57.5%
Vitamin A 5.4% Vitamin C 34.3%
Calcium 6.3% Iron 8.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet