Curried Beef and Vegetable Stew
|Oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Beef chuck/Round roast||2 Pound, cut into 2 inch chunks|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), chopped|
|Curry powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Carrots||3 , cut in 2 inch pieces|
|Celery stalks||2 Inch, cut in 2 inch pieces|
|Potatoes||3 , peeled and cut in large chunks|
|Onions||3 , chopped|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
1) Arrange the ingredients.
2) In a Dutch oven, heat the oil to sizzling.
3) To the oil, add the beef and brown on one side without crowding the pan, then turn to brown the next side, continuing until all brown.
4) Do in batches if necessary.
5) Take out meat from the pan and set aside.
6) Add the curry powder and garlic.
7) Stir in the stock and vinegar.
8) Boil the liquid, cleaning the pan by stirring sides and bottom to get the goodness.
9) Return the meat, reduce the heat, and simmer 3/4 hour, covered.
10) Add the carrots, celery, potatoes, and onions.
11) Cover the pan and cook until vegetables are cooked but not mushy, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
12) From the top, skim the fat.
13) Again boil the stew, until slightly thickened.
14) Add salt and pepper to taste.
15) May be made one or two days in advance and reheated before serving.
16) Serve the piping hot stew with steamed rice.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3507 Calories from Fat 2008
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 224 g344.6%
Saturated Fat 74 g370.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 598.7 mg199.6%
Sodium 1263.6 mg52.6%
Total Carbohydrates 180 g60%
Dietary Fiber 30.9 g123.5%
Sugars 31.8 g
Protein 197 g393.4%
Vitamin A 615.4% Vitamin C 274.4%
Calcium 48.6% Iron 146.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet