New York Oyster Stew
|Butter||16 Teaspoon (4 Tablespoons Plus 4 Teaspoons)|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Celery salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Oysters||24 , shucked and drained, with 1 cup of their liquor strained and reserved (2 Dozens)|
|Light cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a heavy 2- to 3-quart saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over moderate heat and stir in the Worcestershire, paprika, celery salt and salt.
2. Add the oysters and oyster liquor and bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cream and milk.
4. Stirring gently, cook for 2 or 3 minutes longer, until the oysters plump up and their edges begin to curl.
5. Then taste for seasoning.
6. In each of four heated soup plates, place a teaspoon of the remaining butter ladle in the oyster stew and serve at once.
Traditionally the stew is accompanied by oyster crackers.
Calories 462 Calories from Fat 287
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g50%
Saturated Fat 17.9 g89.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 207.5 mg69.2%
Sodium 982.4 mg40.9%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.47 g1.9%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 26 g52.4%
Vitamin A 43.7% Vitamin C 36.6%
Calcium 8.3% Iron 75.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet