Okra Vegetable Stew
|Eggplant||8 Ounce (1 Small Sized)|
|Tomatoes||2 Large, peeled & cut in 1/2-inch cubes to make about 4 cups|
|Carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut in 1-inch pieces|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut in 1/2-inch slices|
|Fresh okra||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn kernels||1 Cup (16 tbs) (About 2 Ears)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Thyme leaves||1 Tablespoon, crushed|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh thyme||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1) Peel eggplant and cut into 3/4-inch slices. Sprinkle both sides of each slice with 1/2 teaspoon salt and set aside for 20 minutes.
2) Rinse and squeeze eggplant. Cut into 3/4-inch cubes and set aside.
3) Take a large saucepot and combine water, tomatoes, vinegar, paprika, thyme and 1 teaspoon salt in it. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
4) Add carrots and simmer, covered, for another 5 minutes.
5) Add celery and eggplant. Simmer, covered, for another 10 minutes, adding more water if needed.
6) Add okra and corn. Simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
7) Garnish with fresh thyme and serve hot.