Chicken Barley Stew
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Canned tomatoes with liquid||28 Ounce, cut into pieces (1 Can)|
|Celery||2 Cup (32 tbs), sliced|
|Carrots||2 Cup (32 tbs), sliced|
|Canned chicken broth||13 3⁄4 Ounce (1 Can, Single Strength)|
|Brandy||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Regular Variety)|
|Chicken||2 Cup (32 tbs), cooked & cut into 1-inch pieces|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Parsley flakes||1 Tablespoon|
|Basil||2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1) Take a 4-quart Dutch oven or saucepot and combine 1 cup water, chicken broth, celery, carrots, tomatoes, onion, Worcestershire sauce, barley, pepper, parsley, basil and salt. Keep the flame medium-high and bring to a boil.
2) Reduce the heat and cover the mixture. Simmer for 30 minutes.
3) In the meanwhile, combine the all-purpose flour in the remaining 1/4 cup water to form a smooth paste. Stir this into the stew.
4) Add chicken and simmer for another fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the mixture is thickened and barley is tender.
5) Sprinkle some fresh parsley and serve hot.
Calories 373 Calories from Fat 85
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.6%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g12.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 46.9 mg15.6%
Sodium 705.6 mg29.4%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g12%
Dietary Fiber 8.7 g34.9%
Sugars 6.5 g
Protein 23 g45.3%
Vitamin A 265% Vitamin C 61.7%
Calcium 20.1% Iron 45.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet