Oxtail And Potato Stew
Oxtail -2 1/2 lb [1 1/4 kg]
Butter -1 oz [25 g]
Large onion -1, sliced
Medium carrot -1, sliced
Small turnip -1/2, diced
Bay leaf -1
Peppercorns -6, tied in muslin
Boiling water -3/4 pint [375 ml]
Flour -2 level tablespoons [2 X 20 ml spoons]
Water -3 tablespoons [3 X 20 ml spoons]
Vinegar -1 dessertspoon [1X10 ml spoon]
Salt -1 teaspoon [1X5 ml spoon]
1) Trim excess fat from oxtail.
2) In a pan, heat butter and fry onion and till golden.
3) Stir in the oxtail, carrot and turnip, and fry on high for 5 minutes.
4) Add herbs, boiling water, salt and pepper.
5) Allow to simmer for approximately 3 hours till the meat is almost falling off the bone.
6) Take off the muslin bag and leave mix overnight in a cool place.
7) Scoop out fat from the surface of the pan.
8) Stir in the potatoes and lightly boil and simmer for approx 15-20 minutes till the potatoes are cooked.
9) Combine flour with the water and vinegar, and blend and add to the pan, stirring till it boils and the liquid thickens.
10) Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.