Pueblo Rabbit Stew
|Rabbit||2 Pound, cut up by butcher|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Mild green chiles||2 , seeded and chopped|
|Pumpkin/Winter squash||1 Pound, peeled and cut into chunks|
|Blue cornmeal/Masa harina / 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds||3 Tablespoon|
1) Wash the rabbit and place on paper towels.
2) In a pot, add oil and heat.
3) Stir in rabbit and brown well.
4) Add onions and chiles.
5) Lightly crush peppercorns and juniper berries and stir in with the rabbit.
6) Add water till the meat is barely covered, then allow to boil.
7) Lower heat and place lid to partially cover the pot.
8) Stir in the pumpkin and to stew, allow to simmer 25 to 30 minutes.
9) If pumpkin seeds are being used, then add to a blender till a coarse meal.
10) Use tablespoons of hot stew water to the pumpkin seeds and mix well till smooth.
11) When meat and pumpkin are cooked through, quickly stir in the seed mix till well blended into the stew.
12) Allow to gently simmer for 10 minutes till sauce is thick.
13) Dish out in soup plates or bowls with a dollop of cream.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1519 Calories from Fat 307
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g52.8%
Saturated Fat 8.3 g41.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 734.9 mg245%
Sodium 470.9 mg19.6%
Total Carbohydrates 87 g29%
Dietary Fiber 10 g39.9%
Sugars 16.7 g
Protein 210 g419.9%
Vitamin A 674.8% Vitamin C 174.3%
Calcium 25.7% Iron 192.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet