Oxtail and Tomato Stew
|Dripping/Lard||2 Ounce (50 gram)|
|Oxtail||1 , cut into serving pieces|
|Flour||2 Ounce (50 gram)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Onions||2 , peeled and sliced|
|Carrots||2 , peeled and sliced|
|Celery stalks||2 , chopped|
|Beef stock||3⁄4 Pint (450 milliliter)|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce (1 can, 400 gram)|
|Dried mixed herbs||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , juiced|
1. Preheat oven to (190°C/375°F or Gas Mark 5).
2. Toss the oxtail in the flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
3. In a flameproof casserole dish heat the fat, add the oxtail, fry until golden brown and remove.
4. Cook adding the onions, carrots and celery for 2 minutes.
5. Sprinkle in any leftover flour and cook until pale brown, stirring constantly.
6. Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste and return the oxtail to the casserole.
8. Cook with cover in a preheated moderately hot oven for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to cool (150°c/300°f or gas mark 2) and cook for a further 2 hours or until the oxtail is very tender.
9. Remove the bay leaf.
10. If you wish to freeze the dish, do so at this stage. Cool the dish and pour into a rigid container. Seal, label and freeze.
11. Serve the dish (regular recipe).
12. To serve the frozen dish, thaw at room temperature overnight. Reheat in a covered casserole in a preheated moderate oven (180ºC/ 350°F or Gas Mark 4) for 1 hour or until heated through.
13. Serve as indicated in step 9.