Brown Stew And Dumplings
|Blade of steak||1 Pound|
|Plain flour||1 Ounce|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
1. Ready the vegetables: Using a knife, cut carrot and turnip thinly, or dice them. Cut onion into thin rings.
2. Using a knife trim the meat free of fat. Chop into 1 inch pieces.
3. Heat saucepan or stewpan and melt the drippings.
4. Put in the cut meat and sautÃ© until brown, stirring with a metal spoon. Then transfer the meat on to a plate.
5. Put in onion into the same saucepan, and sautÃ© until they sweat and wilt.
6. Put in flour; blend in to form a roux. SautÃ© gently, stirring all the time until it turns golden.
7. Pour in stock and gradually let it come to a boil, stirring all the time.
8. Now, put in meat, carrot, turnip and seasoning. Lower the heat and simmer for about 2 hours, or until the meat becomes very soft.
9. Serve hot with dumplings in them.
Calories 291 Calories from Fat 132
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.5%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 76.4 mg25.5%
Sodium 617.1 mg25.7%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.3%
Sugars 3.6 g
Protein 25 g50.5%
Vitamin A 60.3% Vitamin C 13.7%
Calcium 4.3% Iron 8.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet