|Boneless venison/Beef stew meat||1 Pound, cut into 1/2 -inch cubes|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon, coarsely ground|
|Dry red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Carrots||4 Medium, cut into thirds|
|Potatoes||2 Medium, peeled and cubed for 2 cups|
|Cranberries||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fresh or frozen)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped for 1/2 cup|
|Celery stalks||1 , cut into julienne strips|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Hungarian paprika/Regular paprika||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Rye flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cooked wild rice/Sliced french bread||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for serving)|
1. In a saucepan combine venison or beef stew meat with the 1 1/2 cups water, salt, and pepper; boil the mixture.
2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 1/4 hours.
3. Combine together wine, carrots, potatoes, cranberries, onion, celery, garlic, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, juniper berries, cloves, and bay leaf; cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or till vegetables are tender.
4. Blend in 1/2-cup cold water and rye flour into the stew; cook till mixture is thick and bubbly, stirring continuously.
5. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
6. Arrange the stew into individual serving bowl and equally divide the meat and vegetables into each serving.
7. Serve the stew hot with wild rice or sliced French bread.
Calories 401 Calories from Fat 32
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g5.5%
Saturated Fat 0.82 g4.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 20.4 mg6.8%
Sodium 624 mg26%
Total Carbohydrates 57 g19.1%
Dietary Fiber 9.1 g36.3%
Sugars 15.7 g
Protein 30 g60.2%
Vitamin A 205.8% Vitamin C 50.1%
Calcium 7.7% Iron 29.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet