Oven Style Borscht Stew
|Beef short ribs||2 Pound, cut up|
|Cooking oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||4 Medium, sliced to make 2 cups|
|Turnips||3 Medium, peeled and cut into julienne strips|
|Celery stalks||2 , sliced to make 1 cup|
|Onion||1 Large, sliced|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Beets||2 Medium, peeled and cut into julienne strips|
|Cabbage head||1 Small, cut into 6 wedges|
|Dairy sour cream||2 Tablespoon (For Garnishing)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. In a Dutch oven, heat oil and brown the short ribs; drain off the fat.
3. Add carrots, turnips, celery, and onion, 4 cups water, the tomato paste, salt, and pepper; pour over vegetables in Dutch oven.
4. Cover and bake in 350° F oven for 2 hours.
5. Skim off fat.
6. Add to meat mixture, 1-cup water, the sugar, and vinegar, beets; place cabbage atop mixture, pushing partially into liquid.
7. Cover and continue baking 1 1/2 hours more.
8. Serve the stew in soup plates and place sour cream atop each serving.
Calories 1143 Calories from Fat 794
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 88 g135.9%
Saturated Fat 37.4 g186.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 175.9 mg58.6%
Sodium 1866.7 mg77.8%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.6%
Dietary Fiber 12.5 g50.1%
Sugars 31.4 g
Protein 40 g79.2%
Vitamin A 221.7% Vitamin C 114.7%
Calcium 16.7% Iron 30.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet