|Beef short ribs||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into serving-size pieces|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Lean salt pork||2 Ounce, sliced to make 1/2 cup|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Broiler fryer chicken||3 Pound, cut up (1 Bird)|
|Carrots||3 , quartered|
|Onions||3 Medium, quartered|
|Tomatoes||3 , quartered|
|Potatoes||3 Medium, peeled and quartered to make 1 pound|
|Cabbage head||1⁄2 Small, cut into wedges|
|Winter squash/Pumpkin||6 Ounce, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes to make 1 cup|
|Green pepper||1 Medium, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Snipped parsley||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
1. In a saucepan combine ribs, water, salt pork, salt, pepper and bring it to boil.
2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
3. Add chicken; cover and simmer for 25 minutes more.
4. Add carrots, onions, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, squash or pumpkin, green pepper, parsley, and garlic; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or till vegetables are tender.
5. Spoon off fat instantly or, cool slightly and refrigerate for several hours or and then lift fat from surface; heat the mixture and bring it to boil.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Arrange the meat and vegetables on platter and garnish with parsley.
8. Serve with bowls of broth.
Calories 1689 Calories from Fat 1082
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 120 g184.5%
Saturated Fat 44 g219.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 396.6 mg132.2%
Sodium 1405.3 mg58.6%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.2%
Dietary Fiber 10.3 g41.3%
Sugars 15.1 g
Protein 96 g192.8%
Vitamin A 211.8% Vitamin C 198.4%
Calcium 17.4% Iron 41.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet