Santa Fe Farmers' Market Stew
|Dry anasazi/Pinto beans||7 Ounce, picked over (1 Cup)|
|Tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound (3 Medium Sized)|
|Unpeeled garlic||5 Clove (25 gm)|
|Sunflower oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Zucchini/Yellow summer squash||1 Medium, cut into 1/3-inch dice|
|Green bell pepper||1 , cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Ground red chili||3 Teaspoon (Such As New Mexican)|
|Canned hominy||16 Ounce, drained, rinsed (1 Can, White / Yellow)|
|Chopped fresh coriander||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Cilantro)|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Serving)|
|Shredded sharp cheddar cheese||4 Ounce (1 1/2 Cup)|
1. In a large saucepan, soak the beans in plenty of cold water for at least 6 hours or overnight. Pour off the water, re-cover the beans with fresh water and bring to a boil. Boil the beans vigorously for 5 minutes. Drain the beans in a colander and rinse well to remove any scum.
2. Return the beans to the saucepan, add 8 cups of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer until the beans are tender, about 1 1/4 hours. Drain the beans, reserving the broth.
3. Heat a heavy, medium, nonreactive skillet over moderate heat. Place the tomatoes in the skillet and roast, turning frequently, for about 20 minutes; the skins will brown lightly and the tomatoes will soften partially. Peel the tomatoes and transfer them to a blender.
4. In the same pan, roast the garlic cloves, turning frequently, until browned and the garlic is soft, 12 to 15 minutes. Peel the garlic cloves and add them to the blender. Puree until smooth.
5. In a medium casserole, warm the oil over moderately high heat. Add the onion, zucchini and bell pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the ground chile and 1 cup of the reserved bean broth. Bring to a rapid simmer and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
6. Stir in the beans, hominy, salt, tomato-and-garlic puree and 1 cup of the bean broth. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook for 20 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Stir in the coriander and serve the stew in bowls. Pass the sour cream and Cheddar cheese separately.
Calories 440 Calories from Fat 233
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.8%
Saturated Fat 12.5 g62.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 55.2 mg18.4%
Sodium 757.2 mg31.5%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.4%
Dietary Fiber 12.9 g51.6%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 16 g32.8%
Vitamin A 56.2% Vitamin C 113.5%
Calcium 34.1% Iron 14%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet