Chickpea Stew With Greens And Spices
|Swiss chard/10 cups, mixture of greens, such as chard, spinach, kale, tatsoi, mustard and arugula, torn into large pieces||1 1⁄2 Pound, tough ribs removed|
|Canned chickpeas||16 Ounce, drained, rinsed (1 Can)|
|Garlic cloves||6 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Coarse kosher salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Sweet paprika||2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole black peppercorns||1 Teaspoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||10 Teaspoon (3 Tablespoons Plus 1 Teaspoon)|
|Chopped fresh coriander||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Cilantro)|
|Minced parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Green bell pepper/Anaheim chili||1 , cut into 1/2 inch dice|
|Dried red chiles||1 Small|
|Tomatoes/2 cups drained canned italian plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped||2 Large, peeled, seeded and chopped, juice reserved|
1. Place the greens in a steamer, cover and steam over boiling water until wilted, about 5 minutes. When the greens are cool enough to handle, coarsely chop them and set aside.
2. Place the chickpeas in a medium bowl and add water to cover. Rub the beans between your hands to loosen the skins. Discard the skins.
3. In a mortar, pound the garlic with the salt until it begins to break down. Add the paprika, cumin, turmeric and peppercorns and pound until the peppercorns are well broken up. Add 1 teaspoon of the olive oil to moisten the mixture. Add 2 tablespoons of the coriander and the parsley and continue to pound for a few minutes until a rough paste forms.
4. In a large nonreactive skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and green pepper and crumble in the dried chile. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic paste, chickpeas and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the tomatoes and their juice, the greens and 1/2 cup of water. Cook over moderately low heat for 20 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons coriander and serve hot.
Calories 354 Calories from Fat 136
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1192.4 mg49.7%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.7%
Dietary Fiber 11.2 g44.6%
Sugars 7.7 g
Protein 11 g22.8%
Vitamin A 244.7% Vitamin C 189.4%
Calcium 18.8% Iron 40%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet