BEEF AND VEGETABLE STEW
|Beef||3 Pound (For Stew)|
|Salad oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Green pepper||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Condensed beef broth||10 1⁄2 Ounce (Undiluted)|
|Canned tomato sauce||8 Ounce|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Potatoes||2 Pound, halved (Pared)|
|Carrots||3⁄4 Pound (Medium Sized)|
|White onions||6 Small (Peeled)|
|Tomato||1 , cut in wedges|
1. Cut beef into 1-inch pieces.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over a medium flame.
3. Brown one-third meat at a time, just enough to cover the bottom of pan and brown it on all sides.
4. Remove from flame after it is browned.
5. Add chopped onion, green pepper, and celery to Dutch oven and sauté it for about 8 minutes or until it is tender.
6. Return beef to pan.
7. Add 1/2 cup of water, beef broth, tomato sauce, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring it to a boil.
8. Reduce flame. Cover and let it simmer for 1 ¼ hours. Stir it off and on.
9. Add potatoes, carrots and onions.
10. Cover and simmer for a further 1 hour, or until meat and vegetables are tender.
11. Remove from flame. Skim off fat.
12. Mix flour with 2 tablespoons of water.
13. Stir into beef mixture.
14. Arrange tomato wedges, skin side up on top. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
15. Serve beef and vegetable stew with cooked noodles.
Calories 830 Calories from Fat 383
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g65.8%
Saturated Fat 11.4 g56.9%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 140.6 mg46.9%
Sodium 1797 mg74.9%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.5%
Dietary Fiber 9.6 g38.5%
Sugars 14.4 g
Protein 55 g110.6%
Vitamin A 208.5% Vitamin C 127.6%
Calcium 11.4% Iron 41.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet