Spring Lamb Stew With Mint Dumplings
|Lamb shoulder||2 Pound, cut in 2-inch cubes|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Celery tops||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Handful Of)|
|White onions||18 Small, peeled|
|Carrots||6 , pared and cut in 1-inch lengths|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Biscuit mix||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Fresh mint||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. Trim the meat.
2. Take a large heavy kettle or Dutch oven, brown a few pieces of meat at a time in few fat trimmings.
3. Remove meat from the heat and keep it aside.
4. Add onion and sautÃ© until golden. Return meat to kettle and add boiling water, celery tops, salt and pepper.
5. Cover the lid of the kettle tightly and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is soft. Remove celery tops.
6. Arrange onions, carrots and celery around meat and cover the pan. Simmer for 30 minutes or longer until vegetables are soft.
7. In small bowl, mix together biscuit mix and mint. Add milk just until mixture is moistened.
8. Drop by tablespoonfuls on top of steaming stew. Cook for 10 minutes and then cover tightly and cook for 10 minutes longer or until dumplings are puffy-light.
9. Serve hot in a serving dish.