Simple Oxtail Ragout Stew
|Oxtails||4 Pound, cut up|
|Garlic salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Envelope of instant beef broth/1 beef-flavor bouillon cube||2 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Tomato juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Carrots||1 Pound (1 Package)|
|Acorn squashes||2 Small|
1. In a kettle or Dutch oven, place oxtails and allow them to brown in their own fat.
2. Add salt, garlic salt, sugar, pepper, cloves, bay leaf, beef broth or bouillon cube, tomato juice, and water to the oxtails. Cover and heat to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat and allow the meat to simmer for 2 ½ hours till meat is soft and tender.
4. On a cutting board pare carrots and cut diagonally in 2-inch lengths. Peel onions and halve. Trim the squashes and halve and scoop out seeds, then slice 1/2 inch thick.
5. Place carrots and onions around meat in kettle and arrange squashes on top; cover again.
6. Allow the entire consommé to simmer for 1 hour. The meat will easily separate from the bones when it becomes so soft. The vegetables will become tender. Remove from heat.
7. Spoon the meat and vegetables on a heated serving platter.
8. Serve with hot.
Calories 491 Calories from Fat 169
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g28.9%
Saturated Fat 7.2 g36.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 136 mg45.3%
Sodium 1749.6 mg72.9%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.7%
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g25.3%
Sugars 11.7 g
Protein 43 g86.2%
Vitamin A 204.5% Vitamin C 57.1%
Calcium 10.1% Iron 8.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet