Elegant Red Wine and Mushroom Stew: Easy Entertaining
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Stew meat||2 Pound, cut into pieces (1 1/2 - 2 Pounds)|
|Sliced mushrooms||1 Pound (2 Packets used)|
|For the sauce|
|Soy sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Beef broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Catsup||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Worcester sauce||4 Tablespoon|
|Garlic cloves||4 Medium, minced|
|Pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|For the slurry|
|Cornstarch||3 Tablespoon (2 - 3 Tbsp)|
1. In a heated pan with some olive oil, add the stew meat pieces and brown them on medium high heat.
2. While meat is browning, in a large mixing cup make the sauce with soy sauce, dry red wine, beef broth and catsup. Whisk it all together to combine.
3. Add Worcestershire sauce, garlic cloves and pepper.
4. When the meat has browned, add 2 packets of sliced brown mushrooms to it.
5. Pour the prepared sauce to browned meat, at medium - medium high heat and bring it to a boil.
6. Once it starts bubbling, lower heat to low, cover with the lid and let it simmer to cook meat for 45 minutes -1 hour. Stir occasionally.
7. Meanwhile, in a small bowl add cornstarch with a little water, mix to make and smooth slurry.
9. Pour the slurry into the steaming stew and stir to thicken.
10. Serve with hot egg noodles and cooked green peas with some steamed vegetables.
Calories 509 Calories from Fat 229
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g39.1%
Saturated Fat 6.4 g31.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 89.6 mg29.9%
Sodium 2725.5 mg113.6%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.53 g2.1%
Sugars 15.3 g
Protein 34 g68.1%
Vitamin A 14.3% Vitamin C 17.6%
Calcium 4.7% Iron 17.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet