Herbed Beef and Vegetable Stew
|Boneless beef stew meat||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut in 1 1/2 -inch cubes|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 , sliced|
|Beer||12 Ounce (1 Can Or 1 Bottle)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Potatoes||1 Pound (5 Medium Ones)|
|Carrots/1/2 pound each parsnips and carrots||1 Pound (10 In Number)|
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, seasonings and herbs.
2. Add the meat to the flour mixture and toss to coat.
3. In a large Dutch oven or casserole, heat the oil over a medium high flame.
4. Shaking off excess flour back in the bowl, add the meat to the hot oil and sauté until evenly browned.
5. Add onions and sauté a little more until they soften.
6. Tip in the beer and water and add the bay leaf.
7. Reduce the heat, cover casserole and allow the meat to simmer for 1 ½ hours without stirring.
8. In the meantime, pare and cut potatoes, carrots and parsnips into dices.
9. Add vegetables to stew along with a little water if required and continue cooking, covered for another 1 hour until the meat and vegetables are fork tender.
10. Just before serving, blend the remaining seasoned flour in the bowl in a little water to make a paste.
11. Stir this into the stew and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent lumping.
12. When the stew thickens and begins to simmer it is ready to be served.
13. Serve the stew hot, over rice or noodles.