Veal Stew A La Milanese
|Veal knuckle||3 Pound|
|White wine||3 1⁄2 Fluid Ounce (1 Glass)|
|Lemon peel strip||1 Small|
|Tomato pulp||1⁄2 Pint|
1. Ask the butcher to saw the knuckles into 2 inch lengths. Do not chop or the knuckles get exposed resulting in the marrow leaking out during the cooking process
2. Cut the onion, carrot, and celery into average pieces
3. In a large pan, add butter and heat through
4. Add the vegetables to the pan and brown slowly
5. Add the meat to the pan and season it well with salt and pepper
6. Cook the mixture till it begins to brown.
7. Mix one ounce of butter with one ounce of flour to make a thick mix.
8. Add this to the pan and slowly stir till it becomes brown.
9. Add the tomato pulp, white wine, and hot water to the mix till the meat is covered
10. Add a bouquet of mixed herbs to the gravy
11. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or till cooked
12. Just before serving, remove the meat, strain the sauce
13. Put the meat back in the saucepan, sprinkle with lemon peel, chopped parsley and the sauce served on the side