Spicy Brown Beef Stew
|Beef stew meat||2 Pound, cut into 2 inch cubes|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Celery salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Onions||1 Pound (1 Can)|
|Frozen peas and carrots||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Potatoes||1 Pound (1 Can)|
1. Into a plastic bag, add flour and salt.
2. Add the pork into the flour and toss to coat. Set aside
3. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat shortening over a medium flame.
4. Fry the pork for 5 minutes, until lightly browned all over.
5. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat on a platter and set aside
6. Into the fat in the skillet, add the remaining flour in the bag, celery salt, thyme and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes until well blended.
7. Pour water, stirring constantly to make a smooth gravy.
8. Bring gravy to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
9. Stir Worcestershire sauce and catsup into the gravy
10. Tip in the browned pork into the gravy.
11. Cover the skillet and reduce flame to low.
12. Simmer pork for 2 hours.
13. Add clove studded onions, carrots and potatoes to the stew and continue to simmer for 30 minutes until the pork and vegetables are tender.
14. Dish out into a tureen or casserole.
15. Serve the stew hot with steamed rice, over noodles or with crust bread.