Beef Pepperpot Stew With Spillers Dumpling
|Stewing beef||21 Ounce, such as shin, fat and sinew trimmed, cut into small pieces (600 Gram)|
|Fresh thyme sprigs||4 (Leaves Only)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled, finely chopped|
|Ginger root||4 Inch, peeled, very finely sliced|
|Onion||1 , peeled, chopped|
|Beef stock/Water||2 Pint, mixed with 2 teaspoon yeast extract (1.2 Liters)|
|Yeast extract||2 Teaspoon, mixed with beef stock|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Yam/Potato||1 Pound, peeled, cut into ¼ inch pieces (450 Gram)|
|Sweet potato||14 Ounce, peeled, cut into 1 3/4 inch pieces (400 Gram)|
|Pumpkin seeds/Butternut squash||1 Pound, peeled, cut into 1 3/4 inch pieces (450 Gram)|
|Spring onions||4 Large, trimmed, lightly crushed with the edge of a knife|
|Scotch bonnet chili||4 , finely chopped|
|Coconut milk||14 Fluid Ounce (1 Can, 400 Milliliter)|
|Canned butter beans||14 Ounce, drained and rinsed (1 Can, 400 Gram)|
|Spinach/Callaloo||5 1⁄2 Ounce, washed, shredded (Leaves Only, 150 Gram)|
|Plain flour||5 1⁄2 Ounce (150 Gram)|
|Cold water||5 Tablespoon|
1. For the pepperpot stew, place the stewing beef, thyme leaves, allspice, bay leaf, garlic, ginger, onion and stock into large, heavy-based, lidded saucepan. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
2. Add the vegetables, Scotch bonnet chillies, coconut milk and butter beans to the pan and stir well to combine. Return the mixture to a simmer and continue to cook, covered, for a further 15-20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, for the spillers dumplings, in a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Add the water, little by little, stirring until the mixture comes together as a smooth dough. Set aside.
4. After the stew has cooked for 20 minutes, add the callaloo or spinach, stir well, and continue to simmer the mixture for 4-5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, pinch 20-24 small pieces from the dough and roll each into a ball, using up all of the dough. Add each dumpling to the pot immediately after rolling it and replace the lid. Continue to simmer the stew and dumplings for 8-10 minutes, or until the meat and vegetables are tender, the sauce has thickened and the dumplings are cooked through.