Lentil Stew with Sweet Italian Sausage and Apples
|Sweet italian sausages||5 , sliced and halved|
|White onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Celery stalks||2 , diced|
|Garlic cloves||3 , chopped|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh thyme||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Apple cider/Apple juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Green lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Low sodium chicken broth||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Carrots||2 Large, peeled and diced|
|Turnip||1 Small, peeled and cubed|
|Apple||1 , peeled and cubed|
|Spinach||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|White vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
1. Brown the sausage, celery, and onion in a large non stick pan until the onion begins to get soft (app. five minutes)
2. Add the garlic, continue to saute another minute stirring constantly.
3. Add the thyme bundle, the apple cider and the lentils. Stir until everything is incorporated and the liquid has been absorbed into the lentils.
4. Add the chicken stock. Bring to the boil and then turn to med low. Cover and simmer stirring occasionally for 45 minutes.
5. Add the carrots, turnip, potato and apple. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer about 15 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
6. Add the chopped spinach and vinegar.
7. Continue covered at a simmering boil over med low heat for 5 minutes until the spinach is cooked.
8. Remove pot from heat and let sit covered for 15 minutes before serving.
Calories 337 Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.4%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g14.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 20.8 mg6.9%
Sodium 514 mg21.4%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.3%
Dietary Fiber 14.8 g59.1%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 26 g53%
Vitamin A 100.9% Vitamin C 66.6%
Calcium 14.9% Iron 38.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet