Down-South Smothered Liver And Onions With Gravy
|Onions||2 Large, slice|
|Chicken stock/Beef stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|White flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Garlic powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onion powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||4 Tablespoon, divided|
|Olive oil||7 Tablespoon (or any oil you prefer)|
|Red wine||1 Teaspoon|
1. Under cold running water, rinse liver steak.
2. Sprinkle garlic powder, salt, onion powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and paprika on steak. Flip and repeat on the other side.
3. On a plate, put flour and season it with salt.
4. Put steak in flour and coat it evenly on both sides. Reserve the remaining flour for later use in the recipe.
5. Place flour coated steak on a plate.
6. Place 2 large frying pans on medium low flame. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in one, and one tablespoon of olive oil, and 1 tablespoon of butter in the other.
7. Drop water and test the temperature of oil. Place steak in pan with olive oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until steak pieces are golden brown on both sides. Remove steak from pan and set it aside.
8. In another pan, drop onion, and saute on medium heat until caramelized.
9. Season onions with salt and pepper.
10. About half way through, when onions are slightly caramelized, add 2 tablespoons of the leftover dredging flour into the pan, to help it get nice crust. Stir well, and let it brown.
11. In another pan, start making roux, by heating 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of butter.
12. Throw ½ cup of leftover dredging flour into the pan. On medium low flame, mix the flour with oil into a thick paste.
13. Stir constantly to avoid lumps, and cook until the mixture gets peanut butter color.
14. Gradually pour chicken stock into the pan. Mix after each addition. Keep adding stock until you get gravy of desired consistency. Let it come to a boil.
15. Add honey, and red wine. Mix well.
16. Taste and season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
17. Reduce the flame to low, and drop liver steak into the pan. Flip to coat it evenly with sauce on both sides.
18. Transfer caramelized onion into the pan with gravy. Mix well.
19. Serve steak hot with boiled vegetables.
Don’t be afraid of adding liquid. If you do not have enough stock, you may add water, tea, or any other stock available.
If your gravy is not thick enough, then prepare some roux separately and add it to the pan.
Do not add flour directly to your roux because it will form lumps.