|Beef steak||1⁄2 Pound|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|Nutmeg/Mixed herbs||To Taste|
1) Cut the meat into squares or fingers and season them.
2) In a pan, heat fat and brown meat from both sides. Do not over -cook.
3) Add onion and flavourings along with -1/2 pint water. If using stock cube add it now for extra flavour.
4) Cover the pan and stew for 2 hours. Add liquid if needed.
5) Serve stewing steak hot or use it in recipes like beef stew with dumplings or chuck wagon stew
For a change of flavour, add 2 teaspoons of vinegar to the stew; or, for a thicker stew, roll the meat in seasoned flour instead of just salt and pepper.