Stuffed Flank Steak
|Flank steak||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Shallots||3 , chopped|
|Mushrooms||4 Ounce, chopped|
|Frozen chopped spinach||10 Ounce|
|Dijon mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated swiss cheese/Gruyere cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh thyme/Oregano / marjoram||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chorizo sausage/Dried sausage red italian pepperoni / salami||1⁄4 Pound, cut into strips|
|Brown stock||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Neatly butterfly the steak. Ensure that the meat has not been prescored by the butcher. To butterfly, simply slice the meat vertically against the grain with the help of a long, sharp knife.
3) In a large frying pan, heat the butter till it is sizzling.
4) Add the garlic, mushrooms and shallots.
5) Cove the pan and cook over low heat till the ingredients are soft.
6) Squeeze the spinach till it is dry and add it to the pan, along with the bread crumbs, mustard, cheeses and egg.
7) Add salt, pepper and herbs to taste to season.
8) If required, add more crumbs to hold the mixture together.
9) Spread out the butterflied steak and fill it with the prepared mixture.
10) On top of the filling, place strips of sausage, leaving space between each placement.
11) Roll up the steak jelly roll-style and tie it up very securely at 2 inch intervals.
12) In a large frying pan, heat the oil and add the meat. Brown it well on one side and then turn. Cook till completely brown.
13) Add the vinegar and stock.
14) With a lid or foil, cover the pan.
15) Put the pan in the preheated oven and cook for 60 minutes.
16) Take the meat out of the pan and save the juices.
17) On top of the roast, place a heavy pan or other weight to compress it. This will make slicing easier.
18) Place the meat in the fridge till it is very cold, at least 8 hours.
19) Remove the meat from the fridge and slice it cold or half frozen.
20) Slice very thinly, about 1/8 or ¼ inch thick, across the grain to make an attractive patter. Cut into 30 to 50 slices.
21) Place the slices on a decorative serving platter and serve as an appetizer, hot or cold, as preferred. If serving hot reheat the slices in a 350 degree oven. Place some reserved pan juices in a pan-€™s bottom, cover and then heat.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3339 Calories from Fat 2003
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 221 g339.7%
Saturated Fat 85.3 g426.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 704.8 mg234.9%
Sodium 5464.7 mg227.7%
Total Carbohydrates 76 g25.2%
Dietary Fiber 10.6 g42.5%
Sugars 10.9 g
Protein 221 g441.5%
Vitamin A 635.1% Vitamin C 207.1%
Calcium 164.1% Iron 114.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet