Garden Patch Stuffed Steak
|Boneless round steak||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut about 1 inch thick|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Small onion||1 , chopped for 1/4 cup|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Soft bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 slices)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Frozen mixed vegetables||10 Ounce, cooked and drained (1 package)|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Instant beef broth envelope/1 teaspoon granulated beef bouillon||1|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as required)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
1) Trim all visible fat from the steak.
2) Cut a pocket crosswise through the center of the steak to within 3/4 inch of the edge.
3) In a pan, add oil and saute the celery and onion till soft.
4) Remove with a slotted spoon and combine with bread crumbs, egg, drained vegetables, parsley, salt and pepper till well blended in a medium-size bowl.
5) Pack vegetable mixture into a steak pocket.
6) Close the opening by skewering the steak at 1-inch intervals with wooden picks. Lace with string and knot at the end.
7) Brown the steak on both sides in the same skillet.
8) Combine 1 cup boiling water and beef broth in a 1-cup measure.
9) Stir till dissolved and add to a skillet with steak.
10) Reduce the heat and cover.
11) Allow to simmer, turning the steak several times, 1 1/2 hours, or till the steak is tender when pierced with a fork.
12) Arrange the meat on a heated serving platter and keep warm.
13) Combine flour and 1/2 cup cold water in a 1-cup measure.
14) Stir till smooth. Heat the liquid in a skillet to boiling and stir in the flour mixture.
15) Continue cooking and stirring till the mix thickens and bubbles for 1 minute.
16) Add the gravy over the steak and serve.
Calories 455 Calories from Fat 137
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.5%
Saturated Fat 4.4 g22.2%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 156.6 mg52.2%
Sodium 3909.6 mg162.9%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g14.7%
Sugars 4.6 g
Protein 43 g85.3%
Vitamin A 94.1% Vitamin C 21.8%
Calcium 6.5% Iron 34.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet