Pan Seared Rib Eye Steaks with Cranberry Reduction and Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes
|For the steak|
|Rib eye steak||4|
|Herbs de provence||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|White sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh cranberries/Frozen cranberries||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Balsamic vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Red wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Beef stock||1 Cup (16 tbs) (non sodium added beef stock used)|
|All spice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|For the potatoes|
|Baby potatoes||12 , halved and unpeeled|
|Milk/Heavy cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Crumbled blue cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Bring the steaks to room temperature Once they are at room temperature, rub them on all sides with the salt and herb mixture and let them rest for another 30 minutes at room temperature.
2. To make the cranberry reduction: Place the half cup of sugar into a dry saute pan and melt it over medium high heat, stirring constantly until the sugar begins to go liquid and golden brown.
3. Add the cranberries, vinegars, wine, and allspice. Reduce the heat and continue to cook until the sugar dissolves into the liquids. Let simmer and thicken a bit. Add the beef stock and continue to boil and simmer another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the butter until it melts. Set aside and keep warm until ready to use.
4. Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender and drain. Mash slightly. In a separate saucepan, heat the milk, chicken stock, butter and blue cheese until the butter and cheese have melted.
5. Pour that mixture over the slightly mashed potatoes and continue to mash until the liquids are well incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Sear the steaks 6-8 minutes a side in a cast iron pan. Let rest on a plate covered with foil 10 minutes.
7. Serve the rib eyes sliced with the cranberry reduction over top and the mashed potatoes on the side.
Calories 738 Calories from Fat 289
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.7%
Saturated Fat 16.2 g80.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 128.3 mg42.8%
Sodium 1545.7 mg64.4%
Total Carbohydrates 48 g16.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15.2%
Sugars 30.8 g
Protein 54 g107.8%
Vitamin A 19.8% Vitamin C 30.3%
Calcium 10.2% Iron 14.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet